Friday, January 23, 2009

A New Year


It's a new year - another year without my sweet Briana. I can't believe she's been gone for so long; that two new years have now begun without her. Two Thanksgiving's, two Christmas holidays, two New Year's, two of mommy's birthdays, two of daddy's...Over 18 long months. She would be approaching her second birthday in March, accomplishing so many milestones. We're missing out on so much. I just hope that she's not missing out on anything in Heaven - that she is as happy as can be with her Heavenly Father; that she knows nothing on this earch can come remotely close to what's in Heaven - the love, happiness, the joy.

Her sister is now 16 weeks old, just eclipsing the age Briana was when she died. It's becoming exciting to see her grow; soon she'll grow like Briana never did. We will soon be able to experience a 4-month-old, we've never had a 4-month old. So it brings some excitement, yet also some sadness along with it. She will be doing what Briana never got the chance to do; sit up, crawl, walk, talk. How I wish Briana had that chance. Still, while I watch Aavalyn grow and learn, in a way I will be able to see Briana through her, growing and learning the same. They are sisters; of the same flesh and blood. So when I smile because Avalyn took her first step, I will see Briana taking her first step. And when I laugh because Avalyn said 'mama' for the first time, I will hear Briana saying 'mama' for the first time. And, for sure, right behind those smiles and laughter, there will be tears - because I miss Briana so, so much.

1 comment:

atom said...

Sandra,
When I look deeply into Avalyn's eyes I can see Briana there. When Avalyn smiles I can see Briana's sweet smile and dimple too. Avalyn has helped us ease the pain, but it will never be gone. We will always have a tear behind our smiles as we always will miss our sweet baby Briana.
Love You So Much,
Mom