Sunday, March 27, 2011

Your Birthday


Dear Briana

So it's just past midnight, the 27th of March, 2011, and today already reminds me of all that should have been. You would be 4 today and we would be celebrating fittingly; party, cake, balloons, friends, all of that. You would be a wide-eyed, bushy-tailed, fun, energetic preschooler. I think of how it would be - how you would be - and it overwhelms me with a certain sadness. I still see other kids and picture you in their shoes, doing the things they're doing, playing hop-scotch at the park, riding bikes, climbing trees. Even though it's hard to imagine, I must envision what would had been.

I miss you terribly, not only on your birthday, but especially on your birthday. I think of the day I birthed you with a common joy and sadness. I can only hope that one day I can think of you and feel nothing but great happiness; perhaps only then will I truly know how proud I am to call myself your mother.

As always,
mommy

No comments: